Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Aquavit; a Chef's Tasting for a King and Queen

So I've been on a serious kick lately with the wonderful Chef's Tastings I've been seeing on Travelzoo, Groupon and LivingSocial. These are restaurants I've always dreamed of going to, to experience their Executive Chef's perfectly executed menus, the servers impeccable service and the lovely decorum (For which, of course, I myself always wanted to be dressed and decorated for!).

This last experience was a few weeks ago in Midtown, the gorgeous Aquavit, of Nordic fame.

http://www.aquavit.org/restaurant/newyork/index.asp

The ambiance of the place was very cool...literally.
It was quite airy, light colors, super plush leathers booths, and dark wood.
The only whimiscal piece were the lustrous chandeliers, which looked like lovely star-filled lanterns.



We had the 4-Course Tasting and it was scrumptious.
I believe they change it seasonally, and the current one on their website looks like this:

http://www.aquavit.org/restaurant/pdfs/Aquavit%20New%20York%20Dinner.pdf

As we looked through our menu, we tucked into our bottle of dry Reisling and indulged in some puff cheesy balls of goodness.



PS: The Puffs sat upon a bed of ... stones. not edible.
 I accidently got one in my mouth!
yes, well, I was hungry. ;-)




My food-loving man was quite involved in his menu review, and I managed a quick shot of him deep in decision-making :)

Items we pounced on from the Tasting Menu:

Sweet Shrimp Crudo
Aquavit Steak Tartare
Spanish Octopus
Charred Pork
Lardo-baked Halibut
Icelandic Cod

here are some of the plating presentations...






Everything was perfectly seasoned, crisp when needed (that octopus above was SO citrus-zesty delicious!).

Of course, nothing is ever as exciting as the dessert menu.

Pete tried the Chocolate and Texture, which included malt, tea-infused chocolate sherbert, and and a lemony caramel.
 I went for the fresh Meringue which was loaded with juicy berries and drizzled in a tart sauce and was like an explosion of flavor in my mouth in every bite.





Dressiness Factor: FOUR PUMPS
 This is a place I wouldn't feel comfortable in without pumps and a slick outfit.
The servers were all impeccably starched and tuxedo-clad, the other guests were sharp, and I felt very good and proper in my bright-giraffe printed silk dress and heels coming from work.

Final note: 
Devilishly full of deliciousness. 
 Happy. Sassy.
and a very happy girl.
<3e




No comments:

Post a Comment